Friday, December 30, 2011

Christmas, Round Three (aka two Christmas Eves)

Finishing part three of my Christmas blog post has been on my to-do list since, well, Christmas. I can assert (and perhaps in bold font for any prospective employers who have stumbled upon my wee humble blog) that it is not due to laziness but rather time management sheer lack of time.

This year I had two Christmas Eves. As everyone in America was ‘nestled all snug in their beds’, I rushed home from church. Attempted to rush home that is, as there were no cabs in sight because God doesn’t look kindly on those who leave Christmas Eve service early.

For the party, I was determined to make mulled wine. Two months into my new place and I had yet to make that necessary new-house purchase: a wine opener. Same as on Thanksgiving, I went downstairs to the get the friendly man from the corner shop to open my bottle of wine. Every time we tried to pull out the cork, it broke off inside the bottle further frustrating my companion. After a good 30 minutes of uncorking, I went back upstairs to the party.

Two batches of mulled wine later, everyone was in high spirits and it was time to open presents. It had been decided upon at Thanksgiving that we would do a white elephant gift exchange- presents bought for no one specific in mind and the realization that hilarity would ensure.

----
The next morning my family Skyped me from the annual Christmas-Eve celebration. Thanks to technology, I was able to watch (most of) my entire extended family take Irishcar bombs and proceed to go Christmas caroling. I am sure that is what Al Gore had in mind when he invented the internet. Our singing was so tender and sweet that the neighbors gifted us beer (well, those of us physically present). They say a picture is worth a thousand words so I will spare you the exposé on the evening's activities and let you have a look instead.









The clan doing Irish car bombs.










International Christmas caroling.





















Unnamed family members after a few Irish car bombs....


No comments:

Post a Comment