Sunday, April 1, 2012

Hong Kong Rugby Sevens

The Hong Kong Rugby Sevens is unlike any sporting event on the planet. If the Rugby Sevens were a drink (good luck keeping anything down during this three-day event, though), it would call for 1 part sport, 2 parts party with a garnish of business.

Try as I may to describe this event, there is really no way to do it justice. For one weekend, the entire city of Hong Kong is filled with 20,000 revelers and rugby fans from all over the world. I met costumed South Africans, Fijians, Kiwis, Brits, Americans (a small minority) and Australians. I had left with the impression from my January HK visit that the city housed a healthy amount of Aussie expats. That number seemed to multiple during this particular weekend.

I arrived in Hong Kong on Friday evening, just in time to make it to the night games. As the games played out, I swiveled around in my seat, chatting and making friends with those around me while the boys watched the rugby. One of the most enjoyable parts of the rugby sevens was the sense of community and camaraderie of the event.

View of field at Day 1 (Friday) night games

After the Day 1 night games concluded, we followed the flow of the crowd to Lan Kwai Fong, a popular street teeming with Hong Kong transplants and rugby fans alike, celebrating the early wins of the weekend at local watering holes. The entire area buzzed and pulsated to a unifying beat.

If you are able to make it to Day 2 of the Rugby Sevens, the south stands are where you want to be. This is the area of the stadium where a crowd of alligators, cheerleaders and convicts (a group of Australians) cheer on their teams and boo the French. Flanked by a group of five ‘Where’s Waldos’, I made my way into the south stands around 10 am, managing to grab several of the last available seats.

Cheerleaders enjoying the sun and game

At around noon, I was glad that I had brought the Australian flag and used it as a canopy as the sun baked the rest of the crowd. Pimm’s, a gin based drink with an assortment of fruit in the bottom of the glass, served as a refreshing respite to the harsh sun. Despite this, several Waldos started to pull the sleeves of their costumes and I set to un-sewing the hems with a makeshift needle.

That night, the crowd descended again on Lan Kwai Fong. The spirits of the crowd hadn’t dampened and various brands were out out providing exposure for their products. I stopped my all-male entourage for a quick duck into a shop that sold teacher dresses. Several minutes later, I walked out holding my new purchase. The night carried on and I was able to find some American-style cheese fries and chilidogs, a feat that I am never able to accomplish on the mainland.

Lan Kwai Fong after Day 2 games

The next day, I rode around downtown Hong Kong on a tram before catching my train to the airport.

Outside view of a Hong Kong tram

My flight time prevented me witnessing a Fijian win, a country that, through my travels, is dear to my heart. However, I had an incredible time with friends that I will not soon forget. As a man was quoted in the newspaper the next day saying, “In your life, there are certain things to do before you die. [Hong Kong Sevens] is one of those things.” Rugby Sevens, check.

No comments:

Post a Comment